More than a half-million people across the globe have contracted the virus, with Italy and the US on track to overtake China. Germany’s low death rate has been put down to vigorous testing. Follow DW for the latest.
- More than 500,000 confirmed cases globally with almost 23,000 deaths
- US cases over 82,000 passed China, more than 1,000 dead
- Italy reported another spike in cases, taking the total to more than 80,500
- Germany’s low death rate has been put down to rigorous testing, though strict measures have yet to curtail cases
- Switzerland has reported more than 10,000 coronavirus cases as it launched plans to start tracking crowd build-ups through mobile phone data.
- South Korea is among those countries with a high rate of testing for the novel coronavirus.
- Iran has the sixth-highest number of reported cases in the world, numbering almost 30,000. More than 2,200 deaths have been confirmed as a result of the coronavirus.
The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) told the G20 that the pandemic is “accelerating at an exponential rate” and called on them to rapidly increase production of protective gear for health workers.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has called for sanctions relief while the pandemic endures, telling G20 leaders it was a matter “of life and death.”