For most individuals, an allergic reaction to a particular food may be uncomfortable but not severe.
For other people, an allergic food reaction can be frightening and even appear life-threatening.
Food allergy symptoms can be perceived within a few minutes to two hours after eating the wrong food.
The following are the most common food allergy signs and symptoms.
- Tingling or itching in the mouth
- Hives, itching or eczema.
- Swelling of the lips, face, tongue and throat or other parts of the body.
- Dizziness, lightheadedness or fainting.
- Abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting.
- Wheezing, nasal congestion or trouble breathing.